Q1. What are the different types of business entities in Hong Kong?

The common types of business entities in Hong Kong are company limited by shares, partnerships and sole proprietorship.

Q2. How do I form and register a local limited company in Hong Kong?

There are two methods to register a local limited company in Hong Kong.

  • Ready-made company

There are lists of companies that have already been incorporated and the Certificate of Incorporation and Business Registration Certificate are available. It normally takes 2-3 to complete the procedure of the changes. (Please contact us to collect the lists of companies, if any)

  • Tailor-made company

If there is preference to the company name, amount of authorised capital, clauses of Memorandum and Articles of association, a company according to your requirement can be incorporated. It will take about 2-3 weeks to have the Certificate of Incorporation.

Please note that the registrability of a company name can only be confirmed after the application for incorporation has been processed by the Companies Registry and the application must meet all the requirements of the Companies Ordinance before the company can be successfully incorporated.

Q3. May non-Hong Kong residents incorporate a local limited company in Hong Kong?

Yes. Non-Hong Kong residents may incorporate a local limited company in Hong Kong. If you do not often stay in Hong Kong or you are not familiar with the incorporation procedures, it is advisable for you to contact some local professional firms e.g. solicitors, accountancy or secretarial firms etc. for advice and/or appoint them to act on your behalf to set up a company in Hong Kong.

Q4. May a non-Hong Kong resident be appointed as a director of a local limited company?

Yes. non-Hong Kong resident can be appointed as a director.

Q5. Can a sole director of the company act as the secretary too?

No. The Companies Ordinance expressly prohibits the sole director from acting as the secretary.

Q6. Is there any requirement on the amount of nominal share capital and the number of founder members of a local company limited by shares?

The Companies Ordinance has not prescribed any requirement for a minimum amount of nominal share capital. local company limited by shares shall be formed by at least one founder member taking at least one share of the company.

Q7. Is there any basic requirement on incorporation of limited company?

Yes. The requirement is listed as below:

1. Authorized Capital: No maximum but at least 1 share of any value. Ready-made company has a standard authorized capital of HK$10,000 divided into 10,000 shares of HK$1.00 each.
2. No. of Shareholders: At least 1 shareholder above 18 years old but not more than 50 persons.
3. No. of Directors: At least 1 director above 18 years old.
4. Company Secretary: Company Secretary must be a Hong Kong resident or a Hong Kong limited company.
5. Registered Office: It must be a Hong Kong address (commercial or residential), Post Office Box number is not accepted.

Q8. Can the registered office of a local limited company be situated outside Hong Kong?

No. The registered office must be situated in Hong Kong.

Q10. Must all the directors and shareholders present in Hong Kong to sign the documents?

No. The documents may be sent to you by email or by courier for your signature and then you return the original signed documents to us for our handling.

Q11. When can I get the Certificate of Incorporation and Business Registration Certificate for my limited company after submitting the application from the Registry’s office?

Normally, the Certificate of Incorporation and Business Registration Certificate of a company limited by shares will be issued on the 5h working day after the date of submission. We would arrange to collect them on behalf of your company and will send a copy to you by email first and then deliver the original certificates with the company kit to you as soon as possible.

Q12. What documents will be obtained after incorporation of a local limited company?

  • A set copy of registration documents.
  • Certificate of Incorporation
  • Business Registration Certificate (for the first year)
  • Share Certificates
  • 5 printed copies of Memorandum and Articles of Association
  • 1 Common Seal
  • 1 Signature Stamp
  • 1 Small Round Stamp
  • 1 Company Kit
  • 1 Set of certified corporate documents for opening a bank account

Q13. When will the information of the company be available for search after incorporation?

The particulars and image records of the registered documents of the company can be searched on the date of incorporation of the company in Companies Registry.

Q15. Are there any restrictions of language in company name?

A company may be registered with an English name only or Chinese name only or English and Chinese name. A company name with a combination of English words/letters and Chinese characters is not allowed. Companies Ordinance requires that the last word of an English company name must be “Limited”.

Q16. Can I use simplified Chinese characters in the Chinese company name of a local limited company?

No. The Chinese company name of a local limited company must be in traditional Chinese characters.

Q17. Is it necessary to engage a professional firm to incorporate a Hong Kong Company?

Not necessary but it is advisable to use professional service to ensure all statutory compliances have been fulfilled.

Q18. How do my Company have a bank account in Hong Kong?

Please note that all opening, closing and any changes to the method of operation of a bank account must be approved by the directors of the Company and the requirements of each bank are different.

Generally, the sole director/any two directors, all authorized signatories and all beneficial owners (holding not less than 10% of issued share capital) must present in Hong Kong for the account opening. You need to make appointment with bank first and bring the requested documents to bank for opening bank account. (We can provide the opening bank account services)

Q19. What documents are required to be prepared from the sole director/any two directors, all authorized signatories and all beneficial owners to bank officer to review first before going to bank?

The required documents/information are listed below:

  1. Certified a full set of corporate documents by Certified Public Accounts
  2. Organization chart showing % shareholding, the country of incorporation and the country of business address of each company up to the Beneficial Owners of the Company certified by director
  3. The identification document and latest 3 months residential address proof
  4. Your Business Card (if any)

Note: We can help to prepare the item 1 and 2 documents.

Q20. Can I know what questions will be asked by Bank?

The following items may be asked by Bank:

  1. Business Nature
  2. Purpose to open account
  3. How many employee under the newly company.
  4. Turnover of the company for each month
  5. Your working experience and mainly in which business
  6. Estimate of first deposit into this account (come from which company and where will the fund come from and how much will remain in this account)

Q22. Is it necessary to pay stamp duty for allotment or transfer of shares for a Hong Kong company?

No stamp duty is payable on allotment of shares. Stamp duty is payable on transfer of shares